Have you ever realized that your annual dental check-up was coming up, and groaned in anticipation? Maybe it’s the time you have to take out of your day, or the cost of a dental appointment, that makes these appointments less than fun. Here at Atrium Family Dental, we completely understand – after all, we are people who have doctor’s appointments just like you! But the truth of the matter is that preventative and general dentistry, like the services you receive at your annual check-up, is vital for not only keeping you healthy but also for protecting your financial health! Here’s how.
Preventative Dentistry Protects Your Health
The most important reason that general dentistry is a necessity is to protect your health. There are many ways that we work to help you maintain a healthy smile here in New Lenox:
- We work to prevent cavities with regular cleanings and dental sealants. Sealants can help get rid of ridges on the chewing surface of teeth, where food particles can often become trapped and begin decaying. This coating takes only a couple of minutes per tooth and can be a huge help in preventing one of the most common oral health concerns.
- Gum disease is another common concern for general dentists, and it is something we screen for at every dental exam. Most people do experience some form of gum disease during their lifetime, but we can greatly reduce the degree and get it treated faster. Removing the plaque and tartar that gets lodged just under the gums is our first method of preventing and treating gum disease, and it’s something that cannot be done at home.
- Fluoride is a very important part of dental health care treatments. When this is applied to the teeth, it makes them stronger and less likely to succumb to decay. Fluoride treatments are recommended once per year for our clients in New Lenox.
- Another concern that we often address during general dentistry exams is injury prevention. Habits, like grinding or clenching the teeth, can cause cracks in the teeth which can lead to decay, and athletic individuals – especially children – can be putting their teeth in danger if they play without a protective mouth guard. At Atrium Family Dental, we work to provide you with the right solutions to prevent injuries.
General Dentistry Protects Your Wallet
If a person has significant oral health issues, such as serious decay, untreated gum disease, missing teeth, and more, we have to move away from preventative dentistry methods, and into restorative dentistry care. Did you know that the costs for restorative dentistry can be extremely high depending on the severity of the dental issues? In fact, a full mouth restoration, which may include anything from implants to bone grafts, can run up to $80,000 or more.
Additionally, your oral health does have an impact on the rest of your health. Gum disease can lead to heart problems, for example, and it’s also common for the kidneys to develop problems if you have serious dental health problems. These health issues can lead to hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills alone, on top of your dental health bills.
All of that adds up to a lot of money and the sad truth is that most dental insurance providers do not cover 100%of restorative or cosmetic dental procedures. This is another important reason why general dentistry appointments are so important – maintain your regular dental schedule to protect the health and safeguard your wallet!
How to Protect Your Oral Health With At Home Preventative Dentistry
In addition to maintaining your regular dental exams, there are some things you can do at home to help improve your oral health. We do consider your actions at home to be a part of your preventative dental care, so these actions are just as important as coming to see us!
- Brush and floss at least twice per day to remove dental plaque and food particles.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables. Avoid sugars and processed foods where you can, and be sure that you are consuming enough calcium to prevent gum disease and bone loss in the jaw.
- If you need a mouth guard for sports, or to prevent teeth grinding or clenching, be sure to wear it as directed. This is very important for protecting your teeth from injury and avoiding expensive and painful tooth restoration procedures.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco. These things can cause plaque buildup, discolored teeth, gum disease, oral cancer, and tooth loss. If you currently use tobacco products, quitting can help you be healthier and save money on your general dentistry care.
- Be sure to stick to a regular dental exam schedule with us here in New Lenox. If you maintain your regular preventative dentistry exam schedule, the procedures will be fast, painless, and typically affordable. You can help us find problems before they ever become expensive or painful to deal with, and you’ll always know that your health is in good shape.
Contact Your Dentist in New Lenox to Schedule Your Appointment Today
Here at Atrium Family Dental, it is our goal to help you maintain a beautiful and healthy smile at all stages of life, as well as to help you protect your financial health. If you would like to learn more about our preventative and general dentistry services, or you’re ready to schedule your appointment, contact us at our New Lenox office at 815-462-9990.